Thursday 25 June 2009

The BBC is better than Twitter

Is mainstream media even relevant anymore? Twas funny watching the BBC fall over themselves looking for credible sources - Twitter knew..."


What? I mean really what?

Twitter didn't fucking know that Michael Jackson had died. Twitter just guessed, like everybody else.

And the BBC wasn't falling over themselves. They were doing what they have to do, which is not go on hearsay, but make sure they have got it right.

And as for mainstream media no longer being relevant...

Say I want to find out about something. Not breaking news. Not what people are wittering talking about in the last hour/day/week. I mean really know about something. And it doesn't involve seo or making money on the internet.

Obviously, I wouldn't consider Twitter. Or Digg. Or even blogs. How do I know which blog is any good?

I would go the the BBC website. Or read a newspaper. Obviously.

Actually, I didn't even trust Twitter to tell me Michael Jackson was dead. It wasn't until I saw the news confirmed by the LA Times that I was sure it was true.

I just hope the mainstream media can find a way to monetize their content because the idea of having to depend for information on the sort of half-baked nonsense quoted above is too horrible to contemplate.

No comments: