Saturday 22 August 2009

IE6 is rubbish but that's no reason to be rude

I choose to utilize my right to refuse you access to my site.

As an internet 6 user you are abiding by no rules and complying with no internet standards. This may mean nothing to you but to us developers we are deeply annoyed by both the existence and use of Internet Explorer 6.

You personally are responsible for wasting hours and hours of useful and expensive time. Because of people like you we will be forced to accept a lower quality of internet... bla bla bla


What a load of pompous, self righteous twaddle.

Yeah I hate Internet Explorer 6; yeah sure it wastes a lot of time.

But since when are there internet rules? since when have css standards become compulsory for the whole population? Since when have they become an excuse for rudeness to ordinary people who quite understandably know and care nothing about us developers or how deeply annoyed we may be.

Ironic that I encountered this message on http://damienhowley.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/ie6-hack-replacing-clearboth/ when browsing for a solution that might work to get divs to clear properly in IE6. This was for a client website for whom 20% of the visitors use Internet Explorer 6, a statistic that varies little across all my clients' sites.

So much though I would like dump IE6, it's not really an option if I want to do a decent job for clients.

Or maybe it is. Maybe by even trying to make a site work in IE6 I too am personally responsible for wasting hours and hours... and forcing the world... and generally lots of very evil things - regardless of my clients' wants.

Maybe my axxx (uk spelling).

Can you think of another industry where the practitioners are so up their own axxxs that they insult users in such self-righteous terms simply because they are using an old fashioned product?

Postscript: The solution offered in the article for clearing elements in IE6 didn't work either. Not that I am blaming the author for that. IE6 is a nightmare with floated layouts and sorting them out is a horrible long process of trial and error and a complete time-hog.

For the record, what worked for me to clear floated h2s in IE6 was to set css float to none and css display to block.

No comments: